Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Welcome to unlicensed pass-through dump truck city, J. Gahan, serial non-participant.


Iamhoosier forwarded this photo and text a while back, and I've been forgetting to post. Last night came a reminder. We walking westbound on Market Street at around 9:15 p.m., and were greeted with a convoy of 1, 2, 3, 4 ... 5 ... Padgett behemoths headed east. At night. Through a residential neighborhood.

It reminded me of that time back in '87 in Communist-era Budapest after the Genesis show at the soccer stadium. I was walking home close to midnight via a major avenue on the Pest side of the Danube, when suddenly the other walkers melted away. There was a rumbling. Soon the source of the noise appeared: A Soviet tank unit headed to or from its base outside the city. Maybe the Russians periodically ran tank columns through town as a reminder of who really was in charge.

Which is the impression I got from the Padgett display last night.

---

This dump truck pulled out of the construction site for the new CVS onto Green Valley road and then left onto State headed south. I noticed that the truck basically has no mud flaps, just a half on the left and none on the right. Something else seemed to be missing. 

Finally it hit me--there is no license plate. I kept hoping that we would come to red light with a turn lane so that I could pull up
alongside and see the company name. Unfortunately that didn't happen until we got the intersection of State and Spring. The light is turning red and the truck stays to the left to continue south on State. I pull into the right hand turn lane--and the truck runs the red light.

I didn't notice until I got to work and loaded the picture that there was the over-sized load semi on the left of the picture. Looks like plenty of room for two big trucks to pass safely on this 2 way street, doesn't it?

No comments: