Thursday, March 19, 2015

What they're saying: Barksdale, Keeler and Vaughn on rental property registration.

As the weeks go past in route to May's primary election, I'll try to provide periodic unedited candidate statements of approximate substance, as lifted from social media and news reports, and as opposed to familiar gems (although they certainly have their place) like "I enjoyed talking with the bunco club last night" or "donate to my campaign first, and maybe I'll have something of merit to say later."

That's because it is my aim to determine whether our declared candidates have anything to say at all, and I'll quote all candidates, whether or not they're in a contested race. Just promising change and new ideas without divulging them won't cut the mustard, aspirants.

Today, the second of two parts, with a reminder: The readier your channels of electronic communication for me to ask these questions or to harvest your positions, the greater chance you will be asked (and quoted). I'm talking primarily to you, James Garner. Last week's replies:

What they're saying: Bell, Collins, Knable, Phipps, Roseberry and Staten on rental property registration.


And the question again: "Rental property registration? Go."

First up: Two at-large council aspirants.

David Barksdale (R; Facebook)

Thank you Roger for including me in the discussion. I would be in favor of Rental property registration, of course, enforcement could be an issue as often seen in New Albany.

Adam Keeler (D; Facebook and Web)

After reading other opinions I have several unanswered questions. 1. Why is this additional tax needed? 2. What will the cost be to the property owner? 3. How will it be enforced and why over other ordinances that are not enforced that produce revenue? 4. Is it not assumed that this cost will be passed on to the tenant of said properties and not the property owner? I think if I had these answers I could make a well informed decision. Until then I am for registration, not for additional fees.

Finally, Nick Vaughn, 6th district (R) candidate:

I believe that the city should require renters and landlords to register so that there can be more accountability for the enforcement of ordinances. However, in the long term we should look at renters transitioning into becoming long-term residents of our city. By putting down roots people have a stake in our shared success.

No comments: