Tuesday, March 31, 2015

NASH: "Are we the state of discrimination?"

Thanks to Matt for writing this. I'm skipping ahead to the conclusion for my pull, but read it all. Quite a few of us are asking these questions, but the real question is whether anyone is listening, amid what has become a one-party state.

NASH: Are we the state of discrimination?

... I have worked for a major corporate chain and a now I work for a mom and pop type shop with six employees. I cannot understand what would possess any business from turning down any type of business. I believe that ignorance and intolerance are the only basis for this legislation. Our state’s leaders are using religion as cover to shield them from laws that forbid discrimination. Is this how we want to be viewed by the rest of the world?

To the outside world Indiana may have the reputation of being a backwoods state. Outsiders might think of a “Hoosier” as someone that is culturally unsophisticated. I believe that legislation like the type that passed this week only solidifies this reputation. Indiana should be trying harder to shake the stigma of being a state the condones intolerance and should start standing up against bigotry.

No comments: