Sunday, January 18, 2015

"Faithophobia: Add it to the list of my crimes."

Sunday is the week's best day for reconsidering religion, don't you think?

Add faithophobia to my crimes: I have no respect for religions that have little respect for me, by Suzanne Moore (Guardian)

... Last week I asked for us to continue in our disrespect and I meant it. Why must I have respect for religions that have little respect for me? That seek to curtail the rights of women? That find me unclean? I am not just talking about Islam here, but pretty much all religion. So there is some equal opportunity offence for you. Faithophobia. Add it to the list of my crimes.

I don’t have to go back to seventh-century texts to find faiths in which women are not seen as equal to men. This is from the founder of another religion: “A society in which women are taught anything but the management of a family, the care of men and the creation of the future generation is a society which is on the way out.” That’s L Ron Hubbard for you. And you can satirise Scientology all you like.

No comments: