Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I'd rather harbor a healthy contempt for all the angry men.

Recently it occurred to me that I'm angry, too, except my reasons for being angry seem to differ quite markedly from my fellow middle-aged white guys.

I'm angry at them for being such wankers, and I find this consoling, indeed.

Why are some men so angry? From Gamergate to mass shootings to domestic violence and the NFL, the common denominator is male rage, by Jessica Valenti (The Guardian)

... It’s no coincidence that anti-feminist backlash happens most often when women’s rights are on an upswing. And male anger towards women isn’t going anywhere – if anything, it’s gaining steam. Online forums that provide anonymity are creating spaces for men to say the things they no longer can in “real life”, police and courts that disbelieve and blame women for the violence done to them give men the impression their bad behavior is acceptable and a conservative movement that refuses to let go of traditional gender roles teaches our children that being a man is synonymous with being “tough”, having guns and, yes, being violent.

No comments: