Tuesday, October 28, 2014

From The Who to Errol Flynn's Don Juan in two early morning song snippets.



As an expression of the strange way my brain processes and recalls music, consider two tunes playing interchangeably in my mind as I awoke this morning. Note that music plays constantly in my head, although deciphering the wacky algorithm responsible for selecting the playlist has proven impossible.

First, "Put the Money Down," a song by the Who, from an album I haven't played in years.

This cut, recorded at roughly the same time as the songs appearing on the classic 1971 album Who's Next, first appeared on the compilation album Odds & Sods in 1974. It is by no means a well known track by my favorite band, which returns to Louisville early next year on its 50th anniversary (and purportedly final) tour.

Two days ago, I read a long interview with survivng members Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey at the on-line portal of a British newspaper. Did this somehow dislodge "Put the Money Down" from a shelf in the cranium ... or is it how perfectly the song's weary, angry and cynical lyrics describe local phenomenons like New Albany's Main Street Disprovement, Deforestation and Semi Trailer Non-Diversion Project, and my reaction to them?

Even more obscurely, also greeting me this morning was a theme from the 1948 Errol Flynn film, The Adventures of Don Juan. You'll hear it 12 seconds into this suite of Max Steiner's music from the movie.


Flynn's career headed south shortly after this one, but briefly, some of the old magic returned. Here's a clip.



Now, imagine New Albany's own Josh Dallas playing the role of Flynn in a biopic based on Flynn's colorful life.

Just saying.

Richard Atnip, if you're reading this ... pass the word, please. Do you see where the music leads me?

No comments: