Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The tragic tedium of teetotal.

An article I was reading last night reminded me:

"Mitt Romney does not drink for religious reasons."

This was vexing, and so I turned immediately to my own scriptures, where W.C. Fields provided the ethical guidance I was so earnestly seeking:

"Never trust a man who doesn't drink."

Case tested and closed. Does it imply (as I joked on Facebook) that I'm a one-issue voter? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not about to stand in Romney's way as he rushes to offer second, third and eighteenth issues to justify my vote against him. Yesterday, many of his own ideological supporters were feeding me anti-GOP ammo, like David Brooks of the New York Times. For a while there, it seemed too good to be true, and I thought I was on "Candid Camera."

Then I remembered: The candid camera was focused on Romney.

Folks, this is David "Right Wing Apologist" Brooks, not Michael Moore or Mother Jones, and with a pop culture reference as solid as William Claude Dukenfield.

Thurston Howell Romney

 ... There are sensible conclusions to be drawn from these facts. You could say that the entitlement state is growing at an unsustainable rate and will bankrupt the country. You could also say that America is spending way too much on health care for the elderly and way too little on young families and investments in the future.

But these are not the sensible arguments that Mitt Romney made at a fund-raiser earlier this year.

No comments: