Thursday, May 03, 2012

Five questions: Why are we tolerating selective enforcement?



My neighbor is a dentist, and the vehicle ticketed yesterday (for blocking the street "sweeper") is one of his customers.

Some time back, former mayor Doug England told downtown merchants (I'm one) that he'd help them by suspending enforcement of parking rules, and so downtown, the ticket shown above is not being issued, even though there's a new mayor and a new team.

And yet the dentist's office is a business, too, and so are many others in the city which are not located downtown.

1. What is the status of parking enforcement downtown?

2. Is it official city policy that some businesses are more deserving of assistance than others?

3. Why is street "sweeping" a sacred cow, anyway?

4. What status is enjoyed by the enforcement officers (shown above), and are they actual police or some form of adjunct?

5. Can we expect any of these questions to be answered prior to 2013?



6 comments:

Randy said...

Every time I've asked, street sweeping has been declared as essential to meeting clean water requirements. Yet, funding for this ineffective measure comes from the general fund, not the new (and increasing) stormwater fee all residents and businesses pay.

The logic of sweeping (instead of washing or vacuuming to collect debris and fluids) is lost on me.

I object to that whole sweeping program as a boondoggle featherbedding project. It does not keep New Albany cleaner; nor does it improve outflowing water quality. Have you inspected the storm grates? Does anyone clear those? You should have seen the gruesomeness that washed into the grate at Silver and Elm earlier this week. I looked for cameras, thinking Wes Craven was filming on location.

Honestly, though, when I saw your headline, the last thing I thought of was parking enforcement. I won't share my thoughts on enforcement of codes, much less the decision on which ones to enforce. That would be too incendiary and as someone on the outs with the establishment, I don't need to draw unnecessary attention.

RememberCharlemagne said...

I often hear the claim made by proponents of urban living that there is a greater quality of life within the city vs. suburban areas.

New Albany can be used as an example against such claims. This consent ticketing of citizens is a perfect example; one example that you will not find in suburban areas.

This past week I saw two officers following the street sweeper writing tickets. One wasn't enough?

Randy said...

On the other hand, if your neighbor in the suburbs parks his junker in front of your house for a couple of months, who do you call when you live in the boondocks? I suppose you could start shooting, but rational enforcement seems like a better idea.

I've lived in both the city and the country. I prefer the city, even with consent ticketing - whatever that is.

RememberCharlemagne said...

I prefer the city too, but I have to lie to myself about it.

RememberCharlemagne said...

If i had to pick one over the others nothing beats country living, at least when you’re a kid.

w&la said...

The storm drains are horribly clogged - Bookseller is very right. Street sweeping isn't helping.