Monday, March 26, 2012

No, I will not shut up, but thanks for the hint. Now, for more on the necessity of independent business empowerment.

Most of us accept that when it comes to power, a vacuum is a condition waiting to be filled. It almost always is.

In New Albany, with local government barely a blip on the chart, both Develop New Albany and One Southern Indiana (the latter to a lesser extent) exist to fill the vacuum created by the inexplicable, ongoing refusal of independent local business owners to organize themselves, to advance their economic interests as a bloc, and to take seriously their potential power as such a purpose-built collective.

If business owners are content to outsource this clout to an organization, then shouldn’t it be an organization whose primary purpose is to advance the clout of business owners?

New Albany First might yet become this sort of organization, and make good on its  founding promise to be a true association of independent business owners, but NA 1st has had much difficulty getting started -- some of it organizational, and partly because of apathy and confusion on the part of those independent local business owners who should be its greatest supporters.

Also, there has been the impediment of predictable push-back from those who are threatened by the prospect of independent locally-owned businesses finally demanding an overdue seat at the table.

Verily, Develop New Albany cannot help us, and neither can One Southern Indiana. Both are driven by ideologies that are admittedly useful to specific constituencies, in certain circumstances, but which simply are not form-fitting to the needs of independent locally-owned businesses. They both have their places, as does the Urban Enterprise Association, although it currently is in a governmentally-induced vegetative state.

All one needs to know is that in this community, there is almost no disagreement: Independent locally-owned businesses have driven New Albany’s revitalization, and yet in terms of decision-making, the reins are nowhere close to our hands. Why do we acquiesce in this? Why do we not insist on input commensurate with our achievements?

Is it timidity, overwork, and under-education? Is it because we possess an inbred revulsion against cooperation for mutual benefit, or perhaps mistake it for unionization or some other ridiculous buzzword intended to frighten the uninformed into rejecting measures intended to redistribute local power more fairly? Whatever it is, it needs to stop.

As a case in point, think back to the tragi-comic, doomed “Come to City” marketing campaign almost foisted on the community by the compromised, England-endowed DNA cabal.

Ironically, at the discredited campaign’s heart was a generally truthful proposition: Independently owned local restaurants and bars represent the best known, and to date, most successful symbol of revitalization; therefore, these should comprise the gist of the marketing campaign.

Granted, the campaign was as ineptly maladroit as Dick Cheney is pure evil, but this isn’t the critical point in relating the story. The point is this: Independent locally-owned business was being told it was crucial to a marketing campaign presumably designed to advance the interests of the city as a whole, and this admission was tantamount to usurpers assigning the credit where it actually does belong. We should have seized the reins right then and there, and run the campaign ourselves; that way, at least we’d have been able to control how were to be marketed – a question DNA and its advertising man never even bothered to ask.

I’m suggesting today that there’s a far greater truth involved. As noted earlier today, “There truly is strength in numbers," and if we independent locally-owned businesses do not unite to assert our collective strength, there’ll be no one else to blame, and our credit will remain the sad debit it is today.

By insisting on going it alone, we’re at risk of blowing a huge opportunity to restore balance to the local conversation, and to establish a baseline for future reference. Maybe you can live with missing the chance ... but it really gripes my cookies that we remain oblivious to it.

16 comments:

PaulMidTownNA said...

We/I are here to answer any questions all business owners have regarding the city of N.A. , Develop New Albany, & UEA(z) branding project. I personally like direct 1,2,3 / A, B, C questions so I can make sure I answer clearly. Of course in this case, my answers come from me only but I"ll make sure all 3 groups chime in to confirm my accuracy. I would hate to create any confusion on who we are & who's voice is considered as representation especially when it comes from our non-profits.

The New Albanian said...

Is the project ongoing?

bayernfan said...

The organizational issues you touched on can be firmly laid at my feet as I went into the creation of NA1 somewhat blind. I relied on terrific advice from Jeff @ AMIBA and from Una Winterman at Local First Indiana in Bloomington. But advice on how to get things going and the reality of doing it was a difference I was not expecting. There have certainly been some surprises along the way, but I'm unshakably confident that the NA1 board will continue the momentum that was started.

Indie businesses and their owners do need to play a bigger part. I've spoken with a few other IBA staff and found that their support came from business owners believing in (and actively supporting) the cause or logic behind what IBAs stand for. I'm not sure that I've ever been able to communicate that cause successfully enough. But I'm proud of what has been accomplished so far. NA First isn't even a year old yet. We've accomplished a lot but there's much more to do. NA1 can overcome the obstacles to become a voice and an advocate for indie businesses.

The New Albanian said...

Andy, it was not my intention to "call you out" or anything, and I apologize if it seemed that way. I agree that much has been accomplished. I'm rather annoyed with my fellow business owners for thinking that they can outsource this sort of commitment to 1Si or DNA, when it's something they must take hold of and not let go.

bayernfan said...

I didn't take it that way at all, but it's important to me that it's understood that organizational problems were due to my lack of experience. I feel confident in saying that we've all learned A LOT in the last year and I think those organizational issues will start to fade as the group matures. Hindsight is 20/20 (I know how you hate cliches) and I can see where the errors were. I've always believed in learning through errors and, as I said previously, I've learned an awful lot.

Iamhoosier said...

Appears that your question was not "direct" enough.

Kate Caufield said...

To be fair, it's been a new experience for all of us. We have a very enthusiastic and hard working board, but it IS our first rodeo(intentional cliche), so to speak. Shortcomings don't lie at Andy's feet- they are a part of the learning curve of an inexperienced but passionate group waking a sleeping giant, and all of us share missteps together. Of course, that means that we all- board, membership, and community- celebrate the wins, too. There have been many.

PaulMidTownNA said...

yes the project is ongoing. UEA, DNA, & the city are the 3 organizations that originally launched the project. All 3 are still on board and as always, we are looking for volunteers and new additions.

I replied yesterday but it appears my phone malfunctioned. New updates are "coming" soon ;)..

PaulMidTownNA said...

yes the project is ongoing. UEA, DNA, & the city are the 3 organizations that originally launched the project. All 3 are still on board and as always, we are looking for volunteers and new additions.

I replied yesterday but it appears my phone malfunctioned. New updates are "coming" soon ;)..

The New Albanian said...

If we're to be honest here, then it really cannot be said that the UEA ever was a willing partner in the launch. The England administration (and their amphitheater plaques) performed a shotgun marriage, and subsequently, there was little input from the non-DNA side. There actually was more input from me alone at the Grand at the Drive By City meeting. And yet me blithely stumble forward, pretending the past didn't happen. How this is a viable strategy for progress eludes me. It's the $108K question for the bicentennial year, don't you think?

The New Albanian said...

While I'm at it, Paul, do you know what I'm referring to in the title of this post ... and to whom said it?

The New Albanian said...

"We" stumble, not "me." Although sometimes I do ...

PaulMidTownNA said...

No idea.

The New Albanian said...

Maybe you should. Eyes wide open, and all that.

PaulMidTownNA said...

can it be googled? My eyesight has been getting frosted lately. i need another hint or you can send me an email PaulKigerHomes@gmail.com.

The New Albanian said...

Ask the 108K Solution. Perhaps she can direct you.