Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Discussion of this morning's Merchant Mixer meeting.

Here is the place to discuss this morning's Merchant Mixer meeting. Please see preceding posts about the Dudgeon company's "Come To City" branding proposal.

You may check my Twitter feed for other references. I'd dearly love to have the time to devote to formulating points and leading the discussion, but I don't. Know that in a vote of those present, the "Come To City" tag line was rejected, and certain non-democratic proclivities among the progenitors were exposed.

Also, that the assembled top-down governing cliques were mostly oblivious to a branding "solution," the formulation of which summarizes the non-democratic nature of the governing cliques. This attitude was best illustrated by former downtown businessman Don Preston's chilling line, which he gave me permission to quote: "I am opposed to the democracy of the mob."

I'm not sure where it's going next, but I know this: It is far less effective to tell me how you can "help" me than to ask me how you might help.

And: Any solution targeted to a 50+ year old age group, such as that in attendance this morning, is doomed over the long haul. If youth is not served in New Albany, there'll be no revitalization, with or without a bridge. Until the graybeards get that, there'll be no movement.

Now more than ever, the grassroots are ripe for cultivation. I spoke out this morning against the top-down mindset that has been New Albany's primary problem for far too long.

If you wish, please discuss.

9 comments:

Jeff Gillenwater said...

Thanks to you and others for at least saving the city the embarrassment of having "Come to City" be the butt of drive time radio jokes for the next couple months.

It's disturbing but not surprising that, rather than actually consulting the businesses in question in a collaborative way, the inclination was to use a "crisis" as an excuse in utilizing other peoples' money to spread DNA's logo around.

As long as the mayor's office acts as an extension of said cliques, though, there's little choice but to mount whatever resistance possible. In terms of community development, it's heartening that more business owners are coming to that conclusion themselves. I feel better supporting them and feel more hopeful about our collective future knowing that.

The New Albanian said...

In essence, Dudgeon/DNA proposed to build the first stage of a branding campaign around the success of NA restaurants, while not asking restaurants for their input, saying that non-collaboration is the reason why we fail, and then refusing to further collaboration. Rather, we're told that it has been decided that coupons and discounts will work for us, but that the logo has not been decided, except that when it comes billboards, they've been printed with the logo that hasn't been decided.

Then with almost no one willing to support the "Come To City" slogan, which he insisted no one would read, anyway, we voted against it, while grudgingly compromising by allowing DNA's logo to remain intact. The fact that it was drawn by a UEA board member 15 years before he became a UEA board member was used to explain why it is acceptable.

The ones we actually elected don't bother me as much. Most of them will be gone in 3.5 months. It's the ones appointed and self-appointed in all directions that make me worry.

VetteMan said...

I have two questions, I know there are nice restaurants in downtown NA and I'm trying to test them all.

The issue from what I see in the pictures and what you just said Roger is there no inclusion of Shops or Business?

I know that's a lot to put on a BillBoard but the tools needed is leaving a lot of people out. We need to try to get everyone to the table. Now more than ever.

I have also heard people liked the tag line "The Go To City" is that correct?

The New Albanian said...

Yes, people DID seem to like Go To City.

VetteMan said...

Roger,

After my meeting update, I was told I would have agreed with you on most every point.

Damn that's Scary.

:-)

TSOLfan said...

Given that the cometocity.org domain was registered back on July 12th, it seems as if this was a convenient time to try and push its agenda (whatever that may be).

w&la said...

"gotocity,com" is already registered -since 2009.

The New Albanian said...

But gotocity.org is not registered.

VetteMan said...

What about -

www.TheGoToCity.com

Could not find it in a search.