Saturday, April 23, 2011

City council candidate forum: Vote for the ones who showed up.

The IU Southeast College Democrats staged a New Albany City Council Candidates: Meet, Greet and Question Panel on campus last night.

8 out of 15 council candidates attended, and each of them had his or her moment. In my view, the clear "winners" were Greg Phipps (3rd district) and Randy Smith (5th district). In strictly objective terms, their answered illustrated to triumph of intelligence over karaoke and bloodlines.

Props are due to Jeff Gahan for being the only mayoral candidate bothering to attend the event. Of the city clerk candidates, I saw Vicki Glotzbach, too.

Naturally, It would have been interesting to see how the seven absentee candidates would have answered wht proved to be very goodand insightful questions -- which almost certainly is why they stayed away.

Here is the link to the complete video: 2011 city council candidate forum.

(Tribune coverage whenever their act comes together later today)
Coverage by Harold Adams at the Courier-Journal

2 comments:

El Bastardo said...

“It’s done,” England answered, though he declined to provide a reporter with details “until it’s finalized.”

Classic. Apparently England thinks the meaning of "done" and "finalized" are completely different.

maury k goldberg said...

Dear Roger,
I have never shied away from attending a debate among candidates. My work schedule is that I am working second shift from 2PM to 11PM making it hard for me to be in attendance. I would welcome a debate among City Clerk candidates by the Indiana University Southeast Campus Democrats. Thank you for allowing me to tell my side of the story.

Maury