Thursday, December 30, 2010

No tears, but a tear to ring in the new year.

The MRI is back, and the images indicate a two-inch tear of the vastus medialis (one of the quadriceps muscles) above the knee, as resulted from my slip on the ice two weeks ago.

The spilled blood from the tear has worked its way down my leg to the calf and foot, where it looks nasty and causes discomfort, but should resolve itself in time.

Ironically, my sawbones suggests that my leg muscles, strengthened by an al-time record 6,000 kilometers of bicycling during 2010, might have contributed to the prospects for such an injury. I interpret this to mean that there should have been more stretching exercises, but no matter. The short term prognosis involves good news (no surgery necessary) and bad: The 2011 biking season is postponed until mid-February at the earliest.

Beer drinking continues to be somewhat curtailed while taking prescription meds. This too shall pass.


It's a fitting end to my least favorite of years, perhaps ever. Gimme 2011 - fast.



Is it 2011 yet?

No comments: