Monday, May 17, 2010

Film Preview: Riding Bikes with the Dutch.


The first time I stepped off the train in Amsterdam I was literally speechless. As soon as I set foot on the ground I was almost run over by a mob of bikes. I turned to look up and to my amazement there was a 3 level structure dedicated to just parking bicycles. Everyone from three years old to 93 seemed to be tooling around the city on two wheels. This was too much to take in with just my own eyes. I needed to share this with everyone I could and this is why I made my film: Riding Bikes with the Dutch.

- Michael Wolfgang Bauch,
EverydayBike.com

1 comment:

bayernfan said...

I posted something about this in a couple of other places, but the Dutch/Belgian 2018 World Cup bid committee showed up for their presentation riding bicycles and have promised 2 million free bicycles for fans to ride to the different stadiums. An incredible proposal..

"The organisation presenting the joint Dutch-Belgium 2018 or 2022 World Cup bid has proposed providing two million free bikes for the visitors to the event. 'This way the supporters can get to the stadium in an environmentally friendly way,' ex-footballer and chairman of The HollandBelgium Bid, Ruud Gullit told Joseph Blatter, chairman of the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) in Zurich.

While other delegations arrived at the FIFA headquarters in shiny limousines, the Dutch and Belgian delegation took everybody by surprise and arrived by bike. Ruud Gullit, who was joined by Johan Cruijff and Paul van Himst, emphasised the eco-friendly character of a World Cup in the Netherlands and Belgium, pointing out that the stadiums are not far apart.

In his highly personal manner Johan Cruijff explained to the Japanese and Korean reporters how to cycle: "Just pedal."