Friday, April 30, 2010

I didn't use the word "haters," either.

I shan’t belabor the point that there is little in two annual weeks of Derby fever that personally appeals to me; of course, to each his or her own.

And, from my business perspective on the Indiana shore, not much of Derby consumerism leaves the Commonwealth apart from Thunder, which I view as an egregious atrocity.

With each passing year, it annoys me to see the Hoosier money flowing into Louisville during Derby festival, when traditionally it’s so hard to reverse the stream. That’s changing, though, and the greater willingness of Louisvillians to venture north is positive.

Worst of all to me, these two weeks increasingly imply a complete suspension of productive activity, business or otherwise, as we wait for affairs to return to a condition of quasi-normalcy. I suppose it’s great for the folks who like it, and it is as boring as it can possibly be for people like me. It's like waiting for it to stop raining so you can get something done ... similar to what the Derby's adherents will be feeling tomorrow if the weather report is accurate.

My friend Matt Nash thinks Derby season is great, and he explains why in today’s Tribune.

3 comments:

Matt Nash said...

First of all thanks for the mention.

I am glad two people can have opposite opinions about the same subject and still discuss it rationally.

I was also in the restaurant business for many years and I know how slow it gets around derby time especially around 5 o'clock tomorrow night.

Next week we can debate college vs. NBA

The New Albanian said...

You know I love ya, ya big lug.

RememberCharlemagne said...

I'm surprised to find such a strong proponent of local uniqueness to differentiate the Kentucky Derby as something that you don't support.

The very identifier of Louisville is the Kentucky Derby. It is the singular most festival that puts Louisville on a global map.

Instead of New Albany businessmen shunning the Derby maybe they need to figure out ways of contributing to it.