Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The circus comes to town, and wouldn't you know it: I can't attend.

Well, there go two days I'll never get back. The good news is that SB 75 sailed through its House committee and now goes to the full House next week for 2nd and 3rd readings before returning to the Senate. Thus far, it is largely unencumbered with amendments. More on that later.

Regrettably, I'm teaching my IUS "Here's to Beer" class this evening, and although I would love to crash Cappuccino's library self-aggrandizement seminar, otherwise known as a "town hall" meeting on sewers, it's simply impossible. Too bad, because the trognonymous voices already are dumping their tea leaves:

It's time to rumble citizens of New Albany. And a warning to Mr. Baylor, don't think you will be a majority at this meeting because were sick of you and you will be way out numbered.

That's, er, courageous of you, anonymous. Now, go have another Bud Light.

I'm told that the Bookseller will be there tonight, and will provide updates via this Facebook note page.

Earlier this afternoon, Daniel (trib_daniel) Suddeath provided these teaser tweets:

Little birdie: Major news coming on sewer rates, city may be able to phase rate increase over few years with initial 35-40 percent hike ... Special sewer meeting called for 4 p.m. tomorrow. Will let you know when I confirm details.

When I get home later, I'll try to collate information. Have fun, campers.

6 comments:

Jeff Gillenwater said...

I just got a call from one of Pat Harrison's people asking me to attend tomorrow night's meeting on behalf of the "Concerned Citizens".

I guess the sewer board are Nazi's now, too.

Daniel S said...

Story's up

www.newsandtribune.com


As for the meeting, I think the Trib was insulted more than the mayor.

Matt Nash said...

Daniel, if nothing else comes from this meeting I hope someone comes up with an answer to the only logical statement made tonight. The man that walked to the front row and asked how New Albany's rate ranked with similar size cities.

Randy said...

Matt, the man made TOO much sense. Of course, DantheMand had no response and blew it off, saying it didn't matter. Either sue the bastards or dismiss the agitators was the man's message. Coffey said it wasn't relevant, and to him, it wasn't. No political mileage.

Somehow, though, I was ID'd as an England toady. Whoodathunkit?

Randy said...

Collate, already!

edward parish said...

Coffey, who did not know about the state aid at the start of the meeting, urged an audience of more than 50 people to: “Tell your councilman, ‘No more money is to be taken from us until you show us what it's going for.'”......per the CJ