Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Beam her up, Scotty.

Moments ago I was walking along Spring Street headed east. Naturally (?), I was walking on the sidewalk, where pedestrians generally should be.

Ahead of me, also on the sidewalk, was a bicycle coming slowly in my direction -- annoying, seeing as the pristine new bicycle path lay mere feet to the right.

It occurred to me to say something. As the bicyle came closer, I could see that the rider was an older, gray-haired woman. At first, she seemed to be talking on a cell phone, but upon closer inspection, this was shown not to be the case. I caught just a bit of the conversation she was having with herself:

... telling them that the diodes implanted in my body are preventing me from proving my innocence ...

I decided not to say anything.

8 comments:

lawguy said...

She must be a conservative who thinks Obama planted them in her head.

Christopher D said...

Obviously the England Admin got their diabolical hands on yet another FOS follower....


Seriously though, mental illness is horrible, and the options we have for them to lead as normal of a life as possible is very wanting.

Care for the mentally ill are still light years behind the care we give to the physically ill.

John Gonder said...

Wise decision, that.

Iamhoosier said...

I dunno. I think asking former Gov. Palin if she needed some assistance would have been a kinder and gentler thing to do.

I second Christopher's serious comments.

The New Albanian said...

I didn't offer this in a manner intended to disarage the mentally ill. Rather, the example illustrates that even when things seem simple and the conditions for anti-chaos are in place, a whole slew of factors remain out of one's control.

Daniel Short said...

"Care for the mentally ill are still light years behind the care we give to the physically ill."

Christopher, is your pun intended?

Light years...beam me up!

Christopher D said...

Roger,
I did not intend to seem like I made the serious comments to hack on you.

Once a Patient Advocate, always a patient advocate....

Iamhoosier said...

Again, I second Christopher.