Friday, July 03, 2009

Albany would resent the comparison if Joel came from Tibet.

Reader corrects Baylor’s history mistakes (scroll down)

Yes, I know all that, but Miss Caudill, the joke's way funnier if the Scribners came from Albany, New York. You get the joke, right?

(crickets chirp, pins drop)

And, that part about Joel gambling and flipping properties -- that was satire, Miss Caudill.

(grass heard growing)

Okay, okay. I promise never to talk louder than a whisper in the library, ever again ... OUCH ... quit hitting me with that ruler ... that huuuurts ...

4 comments:

Randy said...

I'll wager that Mrs. Caudill certainly was able to "penetrate" the satire, and had a good laugh at it, too.

And Mr. Baylor, seemingly thin-skinned here in his journalism persona, would certainly not be as caustic in personal interaction with her.

I consider each to be a friend, but more than that, each is a New Albany treasure.

Anne was doing her job. Roger was doing his. Both used the Tribune to communicate truth. And it's certainly not beyond belief that some ones might take the joke and make it a new urban legend.

Thank you Anne. Thank you Roger.

D.B. Mediation Services, LLC

The New Albanian said...

I deeply regret any pain and suffering felt by readers as a result of my ill-advised decision to ignore history in pursuit of what I mistakenly and shallowly viewed as a good punch line, v.v. the origin of the Scribners and the travel advisory placed by the city fathers of Albany, NY, recommending its citizens to stay clear of Hoosierland.

I will be attending counseling at a bar stool near you. Thanks you, and god bless us all, each and every one, even the anonymous candidates.

Bayernfan said...

That'll teach you to cross the DAR, Roger...

edward parish said...

Mrs. Caudill is one of my neighbors and takes her job and love of this area pretty serious. Her husband(Harry M. Caudill) was an author and a history professional, I'm sure she just wished to set the record straight.