Friday, April 24, 2009

They won't even spell the word "s*x" in their e-mail broadsides.

Here's a column I wish I'd have written. It's by Debbie Harbeson, and appeared in the Evening News on Thursday.

HARBESON: Are you ready to talk ROCK?

Bryan Wickens, ROCK’s leader, wrote a guest column in last week’s Evening News where he referred to his organization’s methods of gathering information on sex shops.

He wrote, “We do not enter these establishments, but retain the services of professionals.”

I don’t understand. If you are doing Christ’s work, shouldn’t you go in there yourself? Try as I might, I just can’t picture Jesus as a moralistic lawyer hiring some so-called professional to be with the sinners instead of doing it himself.

8 comments:

Randy said...

If they give Pulitzer Prizes for op-ed end-of-column tags, Debbie is the leader in the clubhouse. You'll have to step up your game, Roger.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

The more I think about it, the more the Wickens quote makes sense.

lawguy said...

A very well written piece. Thanks for sharing the link.

The New Albanian said...

If they give Pulitzer Prizes for op-ed end-of-column tags, Debbie is the leader in the clubhouse. You'll have to step up your game, Roger.No arguments here. I will say that Thursday's the best day for columnists.

Iamhoosier said...

I also doubt that Jesus would lie.

Debbie H. said...

Hey, I just finished doing my twice-daily google search of "debbie harbeson pulitzer prize" and look what showed up. Glad you enjoyed the column, Roger and Bookseller, if I could only figure out how to make a living off of doing that, I'd be set.

Roger, the real reason I found my way here is that I decided to post an entry on the possibly dead New Albany Bicycle Coalition Blog. I'm going to do an experiment this year and I made a post about it if you want to check it out and perhaps participate. :)

The New Albanian said...

Not dead, just moribund.

Matt Nash said...

Sunday's Evening News had two responses to Debbie's column. Both were listed as residents of Louisville