Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The YMCA's coming, and the Gang of Four should be denied invitations to the party.

Steve Kozarovich of the Tribune sent this link to Kevin McGloshen’s "slideshow timeline" of Scribner Place construction as the YMCA gets set to open its doors this Saturday. It's also on the marquee at the newspaper's website.

Scribner Place slideshow

The publisher writes: "It took nearly two years to complete!"

The senior editor of NAC says: "It took almost three years before that to convince the Gang of Four to endorse the check handed to the city by Caesar's (now Horseshoe) Foundation!"

I wonder if the Schmidts, arch-opponents of Scribner Place, will be there Thursday for the donor reception? King Larry? The Conjoined Councilmen (Coffey and Price)?

The Tribune should commission McGloshen to take their pictures if any of them dare to attend. Wretched councilmen are a New Albanian birthwrong, but bad actors?

We can do without them, can't we?

Shouldn't we?

9 comments:

G Coyle said...

I wasn't around then, I guess i missed the anti-antics surrounding the birth of Scribner Place. What, pray tell, were the main objections to the Y? I'm having a hard time guessing what would have motivated people to be against this wonderful addition to downtown.

On a different note: Did anyone else see the news of Mayor England's impending month absence for back surgery? Is that why he wanted to be Mayor again, so he could get his back fixed at taxpayer expense? The condition he describes in the article I read doesn't come up overnight, so how long has he had this "back condition" and how is and has that affected his ability to do the job?

The New Albanian said...

Whenever my back/knees/feet hurt, I drink beer -- at company expense.

As for how it affects my performance, I echo the thoughts of pro baseball player Enos Cabell, who testified in the aftermath of a cocaine scandal that he felt no need to apologize, as ingesting the drug undoubtedly made him a better hitter.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

Perhaps some of the children will do some bad actor shin kicking.

That would be worth a photo.

Ceece said...

Gina I believe the argument was that the "gang" didn't want the city to commit to a meager amount year for x amount of years to pay what the Ceasars/horseshoe foundation wasn't covering.

(someone check my numbers I'm trying to block that whole thing out)

ecology warrior said...

Truth is Larry Kochert did in fact support Scribner Place, what he opposed was the county not contributing its fair share and it was Kochert who successfully made the county pony up.

I dont believe the criticism leveled at Kochert is justified in this case and I believe he should attend the party by all rights.

Ceece said...

@bluegill, Lilli seems to be going through a biting thing right now if that helps...

All4Word said...

Larry Kochert may have ranted and railed about county participation, but he had nothing to do with bringing them on board. That was done, in large measure, by one of the readers on this blog, you might be interested to know. Kochert is not a reader of this blog.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

It may be more accurate to suggest that Kochert's ranting almost blew the deal. I remember that several county representatives were pretty miffed that he put them on the spot before the two groups had even had any formal discussion about it, if they ever did.

He got mad at me because I asked what he meant by "fair share".

Biting could be good.

Iamhoosier said...

They have water and I'm sure that we could find a board.