Wednesday, January 09, 2008

"WEAR ORANGE to symbolize sadness and disgust with the national shame that is Guantánamo Bay."

I received the link to this information from a U.S. Army veteran who was posted to the Pentagon in Washington D.C. in 2001, and was driving to work when the building was struck on Sept. 11.

Her definition of patriotism does not exclude a firm commitment to civil liberties.

If only George W. Bush, serial despoiler of the Constitution, were capable of possessing such a reasoned clue as to what he was sworn to protect.

----

This January 11, 2008 [that's this friday] marks 6 years since the first prisoners arrived at Guantánamo Bay. The ACLU is calling on everyone opposed to torture and indefinite detention to WEAR ORANGE to symbolize their sadness and disgust with the national shame that is Guantánamo Bay.

Here's just a few reasons I will be wearing orange this January 11th.

Because January 11, 2008 marks six years since the first prisoners arrived at Guantánamo Bay.

Because the Founders rejected dungeons and chose due process—and so do I.

Because no president should ever be given the unchecked power to call someone an enemy and lock him away indefinitely.

Because I know the difference between fairness and persecution.

Because Guantánamo is an international embarrassment and is damaging our country’s reputation in the world.

Because I believe in habeas corpus and fair trials.

Because Guantánamo is illegal.

Because I believe torture is immoral, illegal, and un-American.

Because I want the U.S. government to Close Guantánamo.

3 comments:

John Gonder said...

Roger:
Thanks to you and to the veteran.

Color me orange.

John Manzo said...

I've always lived with the belief that we are free and strive to be great because we, at our core, try to be good and don't sink to the levels of our enemies.

Alas, we have. And by not being good, we are ceasing to be great.

Not Anon said...

I painted my nails orange tonight. I used my orange flip that I use for Harvest Homecoming. However, when it dried, it appeared red. So I checked with my co-workers tonight on the color of my nails, and when they weren't sure, I explained the Guantanamo situation (I had already received the emails from ACLU, One, etc.). All I talked to had not heard of the Orange Friday, but now plan to display the colors. Grassroots is very literal. Think how small the roots of grass are, but when they get going, check out that lawn! It can work if you spread the word.