Thursday, December 27, 2007

Gang of Four finale today; debarkation at 4; scalpers now paying passers-by to attend.

The C-J’s Dick Kaukas sets the table for today’s special city council meeting.

New election districts up for vote; New Albany issue on today's agenda

Despite a federal judge's concern about population differences, the New Albany City Council will consider taking final action today on an ordinance to redraw its six voting districts.


With the gathering slated for 4:00 p.m., it’s a safe bet that few if any of our regular blog reporters will be making an appearance. Jobs and duties, you know, but that won’t stop us from offering a final tribute to the dispersing Gang of Four. Take it away, World Party ... and for heaven's sake, someone get that gavel back from King Larry.

We're setting sail
To the place on the map from which no one has ever returned
Torn by the promise of the joker and the fool
By the light of the crosses that bur-urn
Torn by the promise of the women and the lace
And the gold and the cotton and pearls
It's the place where they keep all the darkness you meet
You sail away from the light of the world

Listen baby - you will pay tomorrow
You're gonna pay tomorrow-ow-ow
You will pay tomorrow-ow-ow-ow-wow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow

Save me, save me from tomor-orrow
I don't want to sail with this ship of foo-ools, no no
Oh-oh-oh, save me, save me from tomor-orrow
I don't want to sail with this ship of foo-ools, no no
I want to run and hide
Right now - ri-ight now-ow yeah-eah-eah

Avarice and greed are gonna drive you over the endless sea
They will leave you-ou drifting in the shallows
Drowning in the oceans of history-y-y-y
Travellin' the world, you're in search of no good
But I'm sure you're philosophic like I knew you would
Using all the good people for your gallant slaves
As your little boat struggles through the the warning waves

But you will pay, you will pay tomorrow
You're gonna pay tomorrow-ow-ow
You gonna pay tomorrow-ow-ow-ow-wow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow

Save me-ee, save me from tomor-orrow
I don't want to sail with this ship of foo-ools, no no no no
Oh-oh-oh, save me-ee, save me from tomor-orrow
I don't want to sail with this ship of foo-ools, no no no no

Where's it comin' fro-om or where's it goin' to?
It's just a - it's just a ship of foo-oo-oo-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ools

Yeah, oh Lord

(Lyrics from “Ship of Fools,” 1987)

4 comments:

Iamhoosier said...

My IU football team is finally going to a bowl. The Go4 is gone(practically). Where am I going to find my laughs in the next year?

Highwayman said...

Don't be dismayed IAH, I'm confident there will be plenty of entertainment to go around.

FYI, since the boys in their infinite wisdom scheduled today's Gimp & Stumpy show early, I'm going to go watch the proceedings.

However I'll bail if it lasts past 6:30 PM 'cause I don't plan to miss another Port tasting!

Iamhoosier said...

It's now approximately 4:15pm and I can hear the faint beat of the "Death" drums.

No wait...

It's Wipe Out by the Surfaris.

All4Word said...

40 minutes of discussion over New Albany paying its fair share of the social services cost of feeding the foodless, housing the houseless, etc., yielded a one-time $5,000 grant (from the riverboat fund) to Haven House.

Mrs. Anderson had to endure a week's worth of innuendo and criticism, and this writer twice today heard outright and actionable slanders against the woman.

Then, Mr. Price began a McCarthyite waving of 990s (a tax-exempt's "tax" return), all the while completely misinterpreting, or rather, placing his own nickels and dimes spin on numbers he clearly neither understood nor took the time to understand. For ten minutes Mrs. Anderson responded graciously, explaining each and every "point" raised by Mr. Price, but finally the dam burst. After all, Mrs. Anderson was practically being accused of enriching herself at the expense of the homeless. Barb "blew."

A compromise was found that squeezed out 5 grand with a promise that the council would entertain further requests as soon as January.

More details are available, but the takeaway is that a unanimous council recognized a duty to fund Haven House and were comfortable in doing so, even if not at the recommended amount.

Oh yeah, the sewer reorganization was tabled, and the redistricting ordinance rejected by the Federal District Court was passed without amendment. We all know what that means.

Can you spell C-O-N-T-E-M-P-T?