Saturday, November 24, 2007

NAC Jukebox: We're all livin’ on "Coffey Time."

Coffey Time

(With apologies to the great Don Williams)

I left New Albany drivin' a Conestoga
Just about to lose my mind
I was goin' on to Birdseye, maybe on to Nabb or Milltown
Where all the people live so fine
My baby said I was crazy, my momma called me lazy
I was goin' to show 'em all this time
'Cause you know I ain't no prog an' I don't need no more schoolin'
I was born to just talk the line

Livin' on Coffey time
Livin' on retro time
Well you know I've been through it
When I set my watch back to it
Livin' on Coffey time

Well there I was in Perry County wishin' I was doin' good
Talkin' on the cell phone line
But they don't need me diggin’ ditches ‘cause the Mexicans are along
Guess I'm just wastin' time
Well then I got to thinkin', man I'm really sinkin'
And I really had a flash this time
I had no business leavin' and nobody would be grievin'
If I ran city council on Coffey time

Livin' on Coffey time
Livin' on my hometown’s dime
Gonna set my sun dial to it
Cause you know I've been through it
Livin' on Coffey time

1 comment:

jon faith said...

As a ten year old spending my summers in dysfunctional Rome, GA Tulsa Time was my favorite song. It should also be noted that is much to ponder in both Nabb and Milltown.