Wednesday, October 17, 2007

R.I.P.: Bistro New Albany.

You have to understand how hard this is for me.

I kept it to myself until the news came from Dave Clancy himself, and here it is, as posted on the Louisville Hot Bytes restaurant forum:

It is with a heavy heart that I have chosen to shut the doors of my labor of love. Due to circumstances beyond my control (mostly financial), my restaurant is closed as of 10/16/07. This was not an easy choice for me as I was so close to success that it is going to break my heart to see it end like this. I have run this place alone for well over a year and it has truly ruined me in every sense and, given the choice, I would do it all over again (only next time, I'll have a little more cash!). Thank you all for your support over the course of the last few years and wish me luck as I try to sort out a dead business and find some new direction to travel. If anyone is looking for an old washed up Chef, let me know!-Dave

It's remarkably easy for people who can do no better than "start up" the occasional rag picker's business or do contracting work without permits to understand how difficult a genuine paradigm shift is to achieve. All of downtown New Albany currently is engaged in that paradign shift, and it's a work in progress that unfortunately will have its ups and downs. Bistro New Albany's demise is a downer, but within it are seeds of positive developments.

What I know is this: Dave Clancy chose to stick it out as a pioneer in a place where the naysayers said it couldn't be done; what's more, he chose to stick it out when he wasn't ever supposed to be the sole owner of the business (recall that the original investor dropped out, and that former partner Dave Himmel moved on to his own business), and not once did he curse his bad fortune. Rather, he saw the potential and put his scant resources on the table.

He lost the bet. Dave might not be the best poker player, but he has considerable balls, and he'll always be a hero to me.

Meanwhile, don't expect the BNA space to be vacant for long. The Green Mouse says that wheels are spinning as we mourn, and that while a replacement for the undercapitalized Bistro New Albany probably won't be remotely of the same genre, ground indeed was broken, and there are too many good things about the BNA experience for savvy operators to ignore.

Perhaps another downtown eatery in need of a boost might be in need of a chef ...

18 comments:

Ceece said...

shit. I really don't have anything else to say right now...

Highwayman said...

The great food, the even greater atmosphere, and Dave Clancy's warm freindly smile will be sorely missed by me and many of my closest friends.

Dave if you read this know that we appreciate your efforts and we wish you brighter days ahead.

Hopefully we will find you employed locally in the near future so we can continue to reap the benefits of your talents in the kitchen.

G Coyle said...

O - this is awful news. Having only two days ago enjoyed such a good time there... what sad shock indeed. Being undercapitalized is no skin off Dave's culinary talents. I'm craving calamari already - O!

G Coyle said...

What if 100 people give $100 dollars to "re-cap" Dave? Would it help? Is there anything we can do to stop this terrible loss?

The New Albanian said...

I'm not sure that cash alone would do the trick, and I fear it would be throwing good money after spent, because he sounds, well, spent ... not so much financially as mentally. Dave's cleaned out, and in a variety of ways.

We may just have to let it go. One step back, and all that. Let's hope he stays close to NA, perhaps in NA.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

As good as the food was, Dave cooked up a helluva lot of belief in that kitchen.

Whenever the revitalization story is told, the name Clancy will be repeated. Like everyone else, I hope he'll be close enough to hear it.

Thanks, man. Truly.

B.W. Smith said...

Other than revenue, I'm not sure what motivates a restauranteur. If it is seeing people happy and enjoying the company of their friends and family, Bistro NA was an overwhelming success. We will miss Dave and the crew.

Iamhoosier said...

It was obvious how much Dave cared about the Bistro. As bad as this news is for the rest of us, I can't imagine how bad Dave feels.

Dave, please stay close to us if at all possible. You are appreciated probably more than you know.

John Manzo said...

This is really sad. The NA Bistro was a great place and so very needed in New Albany. Dave got raves reviews on the Louisville Hot Bytes forum from people on both sides of the river. This is truly a great loss.

Christopher D said...

this is a terrible blow to the revitalization of downtown.
But I fear this will not stop there.......

John Gonder said...

csd619

Yes this is a blow. More than that it is a sad occasion for Dave himself. He certainly deserves praise for his effort and the quality of what he brought to New Albany, not only in dining but in hope.

It is not going to stop the revitalization of the downtown; that train has left the station. It is inevitable that restaurants will flower and falter. I'm certain someone is already looking at the Bistro's space. Whoever sets up there will be part of a more vital downtown scene thanks to Dave's work.

I wish Dave the best and hope he takes the needed time to recharge his battery.

Iamhoosier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lawguy said...

I'm also sad to see the Bistro go. Interestingly, I've had several Louisville colleagues mention the spot to me, so the name and location were finally getting out into the world beyond NA.

The patio remains the perfect spot to walk after work for a nice bourbon on the rocks. Hopefully, someone else with more cash will capitalize on the location.

So, the more immediate question for those of us remaining behind in the meantime is who will clean up the disgusting dumpster and post-harvest homecoming trash left outside behind the Bistro? Its only matter of time 'til the rats come running...

G Coyle said...

a little bird told me Dave and staff are heading over to the Speakeasy to set up shop...

The New Albanian said...

Same here.

Brad and Co. need them badly. Let's hope that there can be some synergy arise from this disappointment.

Besides that, where would I get a good steak?

B.W. Smith said...

Don't tease us...because Speakeasy + Dave and the gang would be an incredible combination. Perhaps this will all work out for the best.

All4Word said...

Oh, it might be even better than that.

It appears that a bidding war for the Bistro site is underway, with the landlord in the enviable position of choosing between a venerable, quirky, and excellent Louisville institution that would actually exceed in quality the fare offered by Dave's establishment...and a once-beloved ethnic institution that has been missing from the scene for more than a year.

To the swift goes the race. I have a rooting interest, but it's going to be interesting to see who wins. We (the dining public) can't lose on this one.

Yeah, I'm cryptic, but when I make a prediction I kind of like it to come true. So I'll stick to this: if either suitor wins, we'll all be happy about it, despite our shared sorrow for the demise of BNA.

bedhead said...

Does anyone know how I can contact Dave Clancy?