Sunday, May 13, 2007

CM Kochert declares intention of continued hubris in Tribune article; "Reign of Error" in 4th to be compounded?


You may have been led to believe that today is Mother’s Day, but apparently the greeting card industry erred, and we’re actually experiencing April Kochert’s Day. You simply must read this article in its entirety to believe it:

Calculating the Kochert factor, by Eric Scott Campbell (New Albany Tribune).

If (Democratic 4th district council nominee Pat) McLaughlin explains his platform and (current occupant Larry) Kochert finds it appealing, the councilman said he won’t enter the race. But if Kochert finds McLaughlin’s stances lacking or the newcomer doesn’t approach him at all, chances are “very high” that Kochert will launch an independent bid, he said.

“I’ll see if he comes and talks to me. If he doesn’t come, then I assume he feels he’s a shoo-in and doesn’t need any help,” Kochert said. “If he’s going after the issues, there’ll be no need [to run] ... He’s got to have something besides rhetoric.”

As if Kochert’s caterwauling, ward-heeling and underachieving tenure on the council haven’t been enough reason for change in the 4th district, the declining precinct boss now demands substance over rhetoric, when he's been completely unable to provide it for 23 years -- and what's more, threatens an insurgency that would most benefit the Republican challenger if not in receipt of sufficient buffing, polishing and all-around homage.

I chose the word "hubris" to describe Slippery Larry's most noticeable political quality, although now it appears to be understatement of criminal proportion on my part. It makes you wonder how reporter Campbell kept a straight face during the interview, but kudos to Democratic Party Chairman Randy Stumler for this statement of party principle:

“If he’s considering running as an independent outside of the Democratic Party, I assume he’s resigning from the Democratic Party,” Stumler said. “I don’t know what other assumption I could possibly make. If he had questions about Pat McLaughlin, he should have asked those questions in February.”

Powerful stuff, Randy.

7 comments:

Christopher D said...

Has that man even got an inkling of a clue? Most of the fourth district feels tired of under representation, tired of the same old same old.
He chose NOT to run. If he is willing to turn his back on the floyd county dems, while being his precinct rep for that group, he not trying to serve this city, he is trying to serve himself, and he KNEW he could not get the primary votes out here. Hell, I would have stood a better chance.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

Whatever his decision, Kochert should know that his actions at the polls will be monitored and, if necessary for evidence, captured on video.

He's already explained that he broke election law by helping Republican candidate Dick Stewart place signs illegally. All the Dems have to do is make formal accusations and any number of witnesses, including Council meeting tape if available, will confirm his admission of guilt.

There were further reports of Kochert's illegal campaigning at the polls last week while he worked as the precinct rep. They're admittedly unsubstantiated but he won't enjoy that luxury next time.

To the extent that local Democrats represent concern for human rights and quality of life, Kochert unofficially resigned from the party a long time ago. Kudos to Randy Stumler for having the fortitude to say it out loud. That sort of integrity is worthy of support.

Schmidt is gone. Kochert is being handled properly. Two more to go.

Christopher D said...

Amen,
If Kochert wants to play games, perhaps a little Q&A in the papers regading some particularly important issues in the 4th, that he utterly refused to represent his district, one way or another, would be in order, oh I don't know some where around mid June would be a fine time to do, help him make up his mind about filing before the July deadline.....
Perhaps if politics are as dirty as they are in this town, to get what one needs they have to get a little dirty themselves

The New Albanian said...

Could be, but training a video camera on the slippery one hardly can be considered dirty. Sounds like journalism to me.

It's sad that we have to recruit poll watchers to watch the poll watchers, but such is the apparent since of garage-door entitlement on the part of people like Kochert.

John Alton said...

I even got an "honorable mention" in Eric Campbell's article. He left a message on my answering machine Friday, and it came out garbled (old tape). When I saw Sunday's paper, I sent an e-mail. Here is part of my response that I sent to him, and the Tribune as a Guest Column. It was going to just be a short letter, but it wound up being 748 words. The full column is also on my blog..here goes.
"I was originally considering a run for the 4th District City Council in New Albany as a Democrat, and had intended to file. I withdrew in favor of Pat McLaughlin when I learned that he had filed, and I saw where he had barely lost in the last election to Kochert. I did intend to run as an Independent, but with the death of my Mother in February, it took a lot out of me, and it took the steam out of the effort. Therefore, I endorse Pat McLaughlin in his November run, and I ask those who supported my ideas, views, and vision, to turn their support to Pat McLaughlin as well. I have nothing against Mr. Kochert at all, but if the only reason for him to run as an Independent is to take votes away from Pat McLaughlin, and throw the election to the Republican, that is just wrong to do. If I would run as an Independent, it would, unfortunately probably result in the same thing and as I said, that is wrong. I am a Democrat, yes with a progressive viewpoint, but a Democrat, and I intend to support the Democrat candidate in November. I think that the performances given at the city council circus on regular basis, and the performances as the council President have enough people wanting a change in personnel. Mr. Kochert said of Mr. McLaughlin, "He’s got to have something besides rhetoric.” There also has to be, at some point, someone in place that has the constituents of the 4th District, and the best interests of the city as a whole as their goal, and not personal agendas."

John Alton said...

Added note...Why does Kochert expect Pat to "report" to him..and why should he?? WHY would Pat want or need the support of Kochert anyway? I wouldn't want support from someone who admitted to breaking election laws. The people saw through the Heffler puppet candidacy, and with their votes, Pat McLaughlin soundly defeated it.

Christopher D said...

John,
You know how much I liked your platforms and visions for change, but at this point I have to agree that the very best thing we can to for the 4th is throw ourselves behind Mr. McLaughlin with all we have.
Much of me thinks that Kochert is just show boating, but if a careful eye is not kept on him, we could end up with him in the pilots seat again.
Kochert has run his course, his time is up, but can a man like that just give it up and walk away? There in lies my pause for concern regarding any last minute Kochert trickery.