Friday, December 15, 2006

REWIND: Dear ACLU: Please come to Indiana and help rescue us from ourselves -- again.

Last year at roughly this same time, NAC linked to an Associated Press story in the Louisville Courier-Journal, "Diners complain about Christmas alcohol ban." The piece has disappeared from the Internet, but here was the gist:

Christmas dinners at Indiana restaurants don't include a champagne toast -- or alcohol of any kind.

State law prohibits restaurants and bars from selling alcohol on Christmas, a ban that annoys the managers of many Hoosier establishments, who say it hurts their business.

It bears repeating a year later that while there are archaic laws in every American state, it's hard to imagine a more obvious violation of church-state separation than this one -- or a better example of deaf legislators when it comes to making the case.

Sounds like a job for the ACLU.

4 comments:

Meatbe said...

I strongly concur with your opinion on this, New Albanian. The Indiana regulations pertaining to alcohol sales are outdated and outrageous. There is no logical explanation for their existence aside from an effort to appease those zealots who seek to impose their views upon others.

I have friends living in other states who, when I tell them about our restrictions, think that I must be joking. I only wish that I were.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

I have a feeling Mike Walsh would disagree.

Meatbe said...

My Dear Ceece--

You and I must run in different circles. My experience would suggest that there are many such "zealots" right here in good old Floyd County.

edward parish said...

Just remember the biggest group that wished not to have the gambling boat in Floyd County.