Thursday, June 08, 2006

Tribune's publisher: "Surely the New Albany councilmen are joking."

It is sadly telling that at the precise moment of Councilman Dan “Wizard of Westside” Coffey’s self-inflicted implosion on Monday evening, he chose to march in lock step with the many shameless demagogues who’ve come before him by blaming his reversal on a “small minority” in the community.

Apparently that's what one must do when all the cards have been played ... and his hand is dead.

As the Tribune publisher John Tucker pointed out in an eloquent and courageous column today, there was supreme irony in CM Coffey’s abrupt tabling of his own anti-Scribner Place resolution:

On a side note, at the meeting Coffey often claimed he wasn’t given the right information, was misled, that money was missing or that people were changing their stories from a year ago. (He offered only his memory as proof). Yet in the end, it was his (Scribner Place) resolution that really hadn’t been well prepared or thought out.

Surely the New Albany councilmen are joking; Expect community returns with a Scribner investment, by John Tucker.

The publisher’s column correctly identifies the malevolence and witlessness of the Coffey/Price “Year Zero” strategy, and is a must-read for any person residing in the city of New Albany.

For perhaps the first time in living memory, our newspaper has become a force to be reckoned with, and I look forward to reading it each day.

----

This week at his New Albany Today blog, Maury Goldberg has devoted several postings to the June 5 city council meeting:

New Albany's City Council Meeting of 6/05/2006 Part 4

New Albany's City Council Meeting of 6/05/2006 Part three

New Albany's City Council Meeting of 6/05/2006 Part Two

New Albany's City Council Meeting of 6/05/2006

3 comments:

Iamhoosier said...

Just about 2 weeks ago, I made the decision to stop refering to the Tribune as the "'bune". A small gesture but one done in respect of the changes.

The New Albanian said...

Me, too -- and old habits really do die hard. My use of 'Bune goes back to the mid-1980's.

Rick Carmickle said...

I think the Tribune is on to something these days, for years it tried to be a big city newspaper, ignoring for the most part local issues. Seems it’s come full circle back to its roots. I have only one story that truly shows what it was like 15 years ago!

I spent $400.00 to place an ad in a bridal tab. Right next to my photography ad was an article how the bride and groom could save money by buying a 35mm camera from K-Mart and have Uncle Charlie take their photographs. When I contacted the paper, I was informed that article was a wire article and no one reads them, they just cut and paste into paper! I took my time paying for that ad.

However, just a few months later, I received one of those phone inquiries about what I thought was the papers best feature. My answer stunned the poll taker; I informed her the best feature was its absorbency, that I had to put something down for the dog to do her business when I left her alone for hours.

I do miss Amani's articles, but for the most part, Mr. Tucker has taken the paper to the next level. Pretty courageous to take on individual councilmen, but it's long over due! Only a handful of people experience the real council meetings, others count on the paper or these blogs for their information, and (insert Supreme Being here) only knows how much of the blogs are truth or fiction.

This one is pretty much truth, I won't vouch for any others!

Know what I mean Vern?