Thursday, February 09, 2006

Bistro New Albany temporarily on hold.

That’s right – the stylish eatery planned for the site of the former House of Bread at the corner of Market and Bank in the heart of downtown New Albany is in a state of suspended animation, entirely ready to unlock the doors, but awaiting the resolution of completely unexpected difficulties that arose in the days prior to the expected commencement of operations on Monday, February 6.

Previously, NA Confidential reported that personnel problems -- the issue of staffing – had thwarted efforts to open the bistro according to its original schedule, but these bumps had been resolved to the satisfaction of founders Greg Merz and Dave Clancy when suddenly, far graver difficulties intervened in the form of a major health scare for Greg.

Consequently, the single best piece of news that I have to report today takes precedence over all considerations of the bistro, because at this writing it seems quite likely that Greg has had the incredible good fortune to receive the early-stage diagnosis of a potentially debilitating cardiovascular problem, and can begin treating it now rather than later.

As hard as it is for him, Greg -- for whom Bistro New Albany was to be the culmination of a career dream long held -- is facing a clearly defined choice between stress-inducing bistro work and the prospect of renewed health, and his decision to do what it takes to live is precisely the same all of us would make in similar circumstances.

Greg’s a close friend, and while it is extremely sad that he may not be able to achieve his business dream, he’s receiving a wonderful opportunity just the same. I think all of us understand that without our health, we have nothing whatsoever. In good health, other dreams always are possible.

And so a bistro restructuring currently is under way, one that probably will result in Greg no longer actively participating in the project. Chef Dave may go it alone and hire a manager for the front of the house, or find another partner or partners in order to carry on, but I know he earnestly desires to bring the bistro to fruition according to the original business plan.

To be perfectly honest, I can’t predict what the final details of this restructuring will be. What I’ve heard so far inspires optimism, but I’m not at liberty to disclose the details.

Given the close contact with Greg and Dave as they’ve prepared the bistro for opening, and the work I’ve put into expanding my own business so that draft NABC beer can be served in downtown New Albany in a good atmosphere fostered by mutual respect and appreciation, you’ll have no trouble understanding how profound a gut check this has been for me.

In fact, as I alluded in my last public update, there’s a considerable personal guilt attached to the events of the past few days. After all, everyone knows that I’ve been cheerleading this project from its inception, referring to it not just as a great business decision on the part of seasoned and professional operators who’ve grasped the current and future opportunities, but also – and not coincidentally – as a veritable rallying point for a community finally on the rise.

Perhaps I've pushed too hard.

That my own rising expectations are generally unattainable in their typically idealistic form is a condition I understand quite well, and having evolved various mechanisms for coping, these can be rationalized quite readily – and are.

But I’m humbled and sincerely apologetic if my enthusiasm for the Bistro New Albany has contributed to an unhealthy accumulation of stress and pressure on all concerned with the project.

Contrary to my curmudgeonly proclivities, I’m a glass-half-full type of guy when it comes to sure bets, of which I continue to believe wholeheartedly that Bistro New Albany remains one.

I believe there will be a way soon out of the temporary impasse, and that the bistro is still going to be a reality, albeit a bit later and likely with a different internal structure than before.

But my fondest hope at present is that Greg’s health improves, and even if he is unable to actively participate in the bistro at this time, that he’ll soon be seizing the color of his next parachute and in coming years be able to look back with pride on his role in creating a downtown New Albany institution.

When there is more to report, look for it here.

To conclude, a personal note ... Greg, if you're reading, please forgive me if I'm compromising your privacy in any way by discussing these matters in this forum, but I just wanted you to know that you have many, many friends, and at the pub, we're all family -- and first and foremost, your family is worried and wants to be sure you're okay ... capeesh? Good times are around the corner. See you soon.

1 comment:

edward parish said...

Call me today or I'll see you about 1800hrs tonight.
Ed