Thursday, January 12, 2006

UPDATED: The 'Bune's Chris Morris on theocracy and the American way of life.

(As of Friday morning, the article finally has been archived at the newspaper's random Internet archive generator: "Religion is who we are.")

Former Tribune Managing Editor Chris Morris returned to the “Opinions” page on Tuesday with a column on a topic of obvious personal interest.

At first, I thought Chris’s new job title, Region Editor, was a misprint given the title of his commentary: “Religion is who we are; keep God in our lives and government.”

My groans were audible.

Ironically, elsewhere on the newspaper’s opinion page are these words, ones aimed at reassuring prospective community columnists:

“The Tribune is looking for columnists from the community. What does it take? It isn’t as hard as you may think. A good opinions column uses facts to support a point of view on a current event or issue.”

Indeed, it’s the essence of simplicity, and yet such an elusive concept.

It saddens me to say this, but why make the use of facts a requirement for guest writers when longtime staffers like Chris Morris can contribute entire columns utterly devoid of them?

As we’ve noted many times before, you’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The same might be said of argumentation and reasoning.

There's a reason for this.

Our world advances not from the individual’s observation that macadamia nuts are the favored aphrodisiac of space aliens from the planet Zoltan, but from his or her ability to provide proof for such an assertion. Lacking this proof, we’re under no obligation to credit the statement.

By its very nature, religion is unable to provide such reality-based proof for its assertions, which are accepted by adherents on the basis of faith.

When it comes to living together as a community, and because there can be no demonstrable advantage with respect to proof on the part of one system of religious beliefs compared to another, a civil society that purports to respect and protect the consciences of all its members seeks not to promote one set of religious beliefs over the other.

That’s my America. Imperfect, muddled, often infuriating in its inconsistency, but possessing an ideal worth striving toward.

Unfortunately, it is not Chris’s.

He begins with this sentence:

“I believe in God and in his son, Jesus Christ. I am a proud member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, consider myself a Christian, and believe in the power of prayer.”

From this admirable statement of personal belief, Chris promptly ventures from the specific to the general:

“I have become a minority in the United States of America … for some reason we are not supposed to pray … we have been so worried about being politically correct that we have turned our backs on what has made this country great – Christian values, morality and faith in God.”

But, later he qualifies:

“I am not a fan of television evangelists, and I detest those who try to tell us what is right and what is wrong. I do not consider myself part of the Christian Right.”

Chris’s pretzel logic is amplified at this juncture, for certainly he does not detest himself?

Yet the whole of his column is devoted to doing precisely what he claims to abhor, telling me, a non-believer, in no uncertain terms that certain beliefs are right (God, prayer, religion), and others are wrong (taking “God out of our Statehouse, schools, and other public arenas”), and stating quite clearly that any other way than his own of looking at the question of America’s supposedly innate Christianity is both “absolute wrong” and intended to “punish the majority just to please a handful of activists.”

Perhaps you caught the most profound of Chris’s contradictions.

First, he is a member of a persecuted and humiliated minority; then, seconds later, he is insistent that his dominant Christian majority not be forced to consider the rights of the minority, which he views as stemming from activists and other forgettable troublemakers who can sit there silently during mandated prayer and stop intruding upon the quality time of the numerically superior.

Well, which is it?

Minority, or majority? How do we balance the interests of the two? Why does it matter who says what during a public holiday that derives most of its trappings from ancient, pagan Rome? If you are confident and secure in your beliefs and your values system, why must other people pay homage to them each and every day?

Why do you need that homage?

And, where are the facts, Chris?

Not your opinions, but the facts?

Although such a reminder may prove inconvenient to Chris’s regrettably untutored and homogenized view of political and religious history, it’s worth remembering that at one time in America’s past – in fact, for a very long time – his apocryphal arguments (such as they are) for preserving the nation’s Christian heritage in support of the founding fathers and their genius were directed not against the ACLU or resident Muslims, but against his own Roman Catholic Church!

You can look it up, Chris … unless, of course, you’re afraid that simple matters like research and understanding – and empathy -- might compromise the intensity of prejudices left unexamined for so very long.

Facts, reasoning, knowledge … if anything, these are the stuff that made America “great,” if by this we mean powerful and determined in the material and the philosophical senses -- and how many people came to America to escape the exact same confining version of ideological conformity that Chris now incorrectly (and lazily) exalts as the founding American principle, and wishes us all to accept?

Perhaps his own Catholic ancestors, that’s who.

Chris, when we lose sight of the importance of knowledge, of thought, of ideas – that’s when truly bad things happen.

Frustration is understandable. Illogic is not.

13 comments:

Iamhoosier said...

I was just as put off by his "opinion" as you. Caught the minority/majority on the first reading. If some who use the "what made this country great...." would just qualify that remark a little by say "PART of what......" then I would have less of a problem with the statement. I would bet there was an atheist, Muslim or Jew who may have made a contribution to our country. Just maybe. I guess that I could be wrong.

TwistedNoggin said...

I come here for information, usually, and save my rants for my own time, but I am sick of these hypocritical, ostentatious, and irrational speakers giving christianity a bad name. It’s just like the NRA idiots who set such a bad example they will likely get, not only hunting tools, but fishing poles outlawed before they’re through.

I hear imbeciles preaching about “America’s Christian roots” as an excuse to force one system of worship on us all, and I get absolutely livid. If they would crack a history book, they would see that this country was founded largely by people fleeing religious oppression and seeking a nation that would allow them their natural right to worship as they choose.

And speaking of cracking a book, if a person is so terribly Christian, how about opening a bible to see what it has to say about prayer?
Chris says, “for some reason we are not supposed to pray”
I say, who’s stopping you? Unless of course, you only value prayer when you can be seen by large groups.
The Bible says“Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. …. And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward…. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret (excerpts from Mathew 6)
It looks to me like Chris needs to Bible thump a little less, and try reading it instead.

And to you, New Albanian, faith, according to the Bible’s definition, is “the assured expectation of things hoped for”. Blind faith is man’s invention. True faith could be more easily likened to my faith that, today, the sun go from east to west in our view of the sky, because it did yesterday and the day before (I am assured, because of what I have seen in the past, not because I simply want to believe).
It is not that the existence of God can’t be argued logically, it’s just that most people fail to do so. I cannot see a quark within an atom, but its existence can easily be argued based on logic and evidence.
I once gave a speech in college, arguing the reliability of the bible and the information it contained. I left all dramatic pleas about faith and emotion and tradition out of it, and discussed it based on my research, based on archeology, logic, and scientific method, and my atheist instructor (who originally told me not to do that topic, assuming it could not be argued logically) gave me an A and was impressed with my arguments.
Don’t worry, I’m not going to write an essay about that on your blog, but I had to say that you cannot assume there is no argument for a belief, simply because its loudest speakers are incapable of arguing it. Those most likely to leap into the limelight are rarely those best equipped to speak.

TwistedNoggin said...

I really should have gone back and edited that, leaving the points I made but removing the anger. But, hypocracy is a pet peeve of mine.

I'm no great christian, by any stretch of the imagination, but I would whine for religious freedom while trying to impose my form of worship on others.

ok. I'll shut up, now. :)

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more with "twistednoggin" statements:

"It is not that the existence of God can’t be argued logically, it’s just that most people fail to do so."

"but I had to say that you cannot assume there is no argument for a belief, simply because its loudest speakers are incapable of arguing it. Those most likely to leap into the limelight are rarely those best equipped to speak."

Not everyone is gifted with articulation or writing skills. That doesn't make them stupid, ignorant, or necessarily wrong in the ideas they are passionate about, including God.

We disagree strongly on this issue, but as I have stated before:

"the eye sees what the mind knows"

We are limited by our own narrowsightedness.

The bible will consistently stand up to any textual criticism used to validate other historical writings.

Archelogical evidence is available as well as scientific studies in many areas.

We just have to consider the evidence.

TwistedNoggin said...

Well, I'm glad someone could appreciate it despite the many typos. My last post even said "would", when I meant to say "would not", but I guess you get the idea.

If you'll forgive a very breif tangent, google Taylor Mali and read his poem "the impotence of proofreading". It'll crack you up.

I just hate when we are told what to think and what to beleive, like people wanting to force any one religion on our children through public schools. A government must regulate behavoir, to an extent. They should not, however, tell us what to think. I need no thought police.

Ok, now I really will shut up.

All4Word said...

ein meisterstuck! That goes for NAC and for Mali!

TwistedNoggin said...

I stay clear of most of the popular propaganda, but I enjoy a logical argument on the subject. If you'd like to make some points, state your case, or just ask a few questions, feel free to email them to hateithere@sbcglobal.net
I will post the questions and my answers on my blog, if you like.
Just don't ask any questions you don't want to hear responses to.

Highwayman said...

NAC, Since I am quite certain that your mindset in this post was philosophic rather than theologic I am going to hold my tounge (fingers) for now.

However, between Bob Russel's passing of the holy scepter this past weekend, the article you referenced here, and the comments that followed, I can no longer resist the temptation to rant on my own site.

Relax guys for I take no offence from anything stated here. You have just collectivly reawakened an itch that I just gotta scratch!

Stay tuned sports fans! Things are getting interesting!

Jeff Gillenwater said...

To the extent that it's become a national movement, one of the scarier prospects of all this religious fanaticism is that it drives both natives and non-natives from the U.S.

Most economic thinkers I've read or listened to lately are talking about the global competition for intellectual capital and how the U.S. has fallen and is falling behind in it. A lack of tolerance (and make no mistake, political correctness, for all its shortcomings, is a legitimate attempt at tolerance) is almost always listed as a detriment to being competitive.

It's one thing for young creatives to feel like they have to move to another city to be accepted and appreciated. Having to move to another country is even worse.

Much like socialized healthcare, it makes one wonder if it may not be the socially conservative darlings of corporate america who eventually force the goverment's hand in rooting religion out of tax funded institutions.

Debbie H. said...

When I went to the site this evening to check out the looks of my column, Chris' column was the lead opinion column and his pic was up. So it's on the site at least right now.

I found the article quite interesting, especially since I just finished reading the first part of Thomas Paine's The Age Of Reason. Now THAT was interesting reading.

The New Albanian said...

Thanks Debbie. If you detect a pattern, please let me know.

I submitted the preceding to the Tribune, and I'm told that it will be published. Perhaps that's the reason for the belated Internet posting.

Debbie H. said...

Roger, my husband wrote a letter to Mr. Morris immediately upon reading the article so I wonder if they received some reponses and then decided to put it up on the site.

I can probably check with my good buddy Steve :) and see what the plan is for how articles go up on the site. All I know is that during my negotiations, we agreed mine would go on the website as well as the paper.

Debbie H. said...

Tim, media consolidation has not taken a "fundamental freedom that our patriots fought for..." New competition is simply changing the marketplace.

This is all an example of the power of the free market. That's why those papers are changing, because of the new competition coming from the internet. Heck, probably the only reason it's not changing faster is that there are still a lot of older people who will never do much on a computer before they die. When we get to the point that most people are using computers, papers will be in an even worse position. Think of what the print media was like before radio and television.

So, it's not some big bad corporate takeover that's making change occur, it's individuals acting in the free market of information-trading and the area of growth is obviously the internet. The consolidation is simply an effort to compete with the new market offering.

I see no loss of voice, as a matter of fact the voices increased as all of us can have our say much easier now. The medium has simply changed. Individuals can get loads more information now than they ever could, even when a paper had more reporters and more column inches. We don't have to get it all filtered through a few people, we can read the ideas and experiences and opinions of many. That's a good thing.

The heart and soul of communities is not lost. It's only just now beginning to really grow. If there is a Death of a Paper, then it's just a natural flowing of individuals acting freely to obtain their information in new ways.

The free market and competition are good things to have around. :)